[:vi]Cùng điểm qua một số thành ngữ phổ biến có nhắc đến “mèo” trong đó nhé!
- A bag of cats
– A bad-tempered person
– Người xấu tính, dễ nổi nóng
VD: “She’s a real bag of cats this afternoon!”
- A cat in gloves catches no mice
– Sometimes you can’t accomplish a goal by being careful and polite.
– Cẩn thận, lịch sự quá hóa hỏng
VD: Just talk frankly with her. A cat in gloves catches no mice.
- Busier than a one-eyed cat watching two mouse holes
– Very busy
– Vô cùng bận rộn (như mèo chột canh 2 ổ chuột)
VD: I’ve been busier than a one-eyed cat watching two mouse holes these days
- Cat got your tongue? / Has the cat got your tongue?
– Why are you not saying anything? (Often said by adults to children.)
– Mèo ăn mất lưỡi rồi à?
VD: Has the cat got your tongue? I need an explanation.
- Curiosity killed the cat.
– Being curious can get you into trouble
– Tò mò hại thân
VD: Jill: Where did you get all that money? Jane: Curiosity killed the cat.
- Fight like cat and dog
– To argue violently all the time
– (Đánh nhau) như chó với mèo
VD: My children fight like cat and dog at home.
- Let the cat out of the bag
– To reveal a secret or a surprise by accident
– Làm lộ hết bí mật
VD: It’s a secret. Try not to let the cat out of the bag.
- Mad enough to kick a cat
– Very angry.
– Giận điên người
VD: Stay out of my way! I’m mad enough to kick a cat!
- Rain cats and dog
– To rain very hard
– Mưa như trút nước
VD: It is raining cats and dogs outside.
- Weak as a cat/ a kitten
– Very weak, ineffective, fragile
– Yếu ớt
VD: She is as weak as a kitten, unarmed and friendless.